The ringing of her cell phone jerked Georgina
out of a deep sleep. She groped around
the nightstand trying to locate it without opening her eyes. Finally her hand touched it and she grabbed
it up to answer. “Hello?” “Georgie, I’m really sorry to wake you up at
this time of the morning but we’ve had a report of a dog found in someone’s
yard. All the guys on duty tonight are
out. But apart from that, she needs a
gentle touch. The house owner says she
appears to be abused and is very traumatised.” Sherry said. “No problem, Sherry. I’m on my way”. Georgina rolled over to look at the clock and
grimaced. She was never her cheery best
at three a.m but as the owner of the shelter, she couldn’t very well refuse to
go. Climbing out of bed and into some
clean clothes, she grabbed her keys and headed out. As she got into her car, her phone beeped
softly indicating an incoming message.
Sherry had sent her the directions to find the dog and she was on her
way. Finding the place easily, she
hopped out of the car and walked up the path to the front door. Lifting her hand to knock, the door swung
open, startling her. “Hi, I’m Georgina
from The House of Hope Animal Shelter.
I’m here about the dog your reported.”
“Yes, thanks for coming so quickly.
I’m Eric. Please, come
through. She found her way into my back
yard but I can’t seem to get her to come out from where she’s hiding.”
Eric led the way through the house and
Georgina asked him questions as they went.
“And you say she seems to have been abused?” “God yes, the poor dog has wounds all over
her. Considering how she reacts to me
and the kind of wounds she has I can only assume it was a man who abused her
like that. She cowers away every time I
get anywhere near her.” Eric pointed to
a corner of the garden and Georgina had to go down on her haunches to find the
dog. When she spotted her, her heart
ached at the sight before her. She
inched closer and the dog eyed her warily.
“Hello baby. I’m not here to hurt
you,” Georgina murmured. She reached
into her pocket and pulled out a doggie treat.
Going to her stomach, she held out the treat and continued to murmur
softly to the dog. Eventually the dog
began to belly forward slowly, stopping constantly to assess whether she was in
imminent danger. After what felt like an
eternity the beautiful young dog bellied up to Georgina and sniffed at the
treat she held in her hand. Delicately
the dog took the treat from her and Georgina took the opportunity to stroke and
pet her where she could without hurting the dog. By five a.m. Georgina had finally managed to
get the dog into a collar and leash; and coax the frightened animal into her
car. Turning to Eric, Georgina held out
her hand to shake his, “Thank you so much for calling us. We’ll take good care of her and make sure she
finds a wonderful new home.” “About
that,” Eric replied. “Would it be
possible to rehabilitate her so she won’t be scared of me anymore? I’d love to take her in. She’s such a beautiful dog and she deserves a
safe place to stay.” “That would be
wonderful; and completely doable. I’ll
need to work with her a bit but if you let our office have your details, I will
be in touch as soon as she’s ready for me to start introducing her to
you.” “I’ll do that, thanks, but here’s
one my business cards that you can hang on to.
I’ve put my personal number on the back so it’ll be easier to get hold
of me. I’ll look forward to hearing from
you.” Passing Eric one of her business
cards, Georgina said, “Thanks once again.
I’ll be in touch.”
Having spent the last two hours watching
Georgina gently win over the trust of the dog, Eric couldn’t get her out of his
mind. Standing at the window watching as
she backed out of the drive and drove away, he wondered how long he should wait
before contacting her again. There was
something in her gentle way with the animal that spoke to him. And he would love to get to know her
better. Turning away from the window he
went into the kitchen to brew a pot of coffee knowing there was no way he’d be
able to go back to sleep now. Thoughts
of Georgina whirled around his mind.
Flopping down on the coach, he leaned back and closed his eyes giving
his imagination free rein. Imagining
what it would be like to kiss her soft lips, what it would be like to roll her
underneath him and make passionate love to her.
He couldn’t wait to see her again.
“Hi baby,” crooned Georgina, “How’s my girl
today?” The dog whined softly in answer
and licked her hand. Georgina spent some
time brushing out the dog’s beautiful coat, checking the wounds to make sure
they were healing properly. Giving the
dog a treat, she rubbed a hand over the satiny coat and softly talked to her, laughing
as the dog cocked her head; almost as if she could understand what Georgina was
saying to her. “Georgie, telephone for
you;” Sherry called over the public address system. She gave the dog another treat and said,
“I’ll be right back.” “Hi, this is
Georgina.” “Hi, it’s Eric. You rescued a dog from my yard the other
night;” came the response. “Yes, I
remember. Hi Eric, how are you
doing?” “Great thanks. I was just wondering how things were
going. I know you said you would call
when she was ready but I was wondering if there’s any chance I could come over
today.” Eric replied. Eric held his
breath waiting for Georgina’s response. Just
hearing his voice, Georgina’s heart beat faster and she felt short of
breath. Taking a deep breath she
replied, “Actually, she’s really doing well - a lot better than I thought she
would so quickly. It should be
fine.” “Excellent; I’ll be there
shortly. And, thanks Georgina. I appreciate it.”
Georgina had butterflies swarming around her
stomach. She was looking forward to
seeing the hunky Eric again. She
occupied herself by feeding and playing with the rescue dog. Once more stroking a hand down the dog’s soft
coat she wondered, not for the first time, what it would feel like to be
touched by Eric. Would he be a gentle
lover or would he be rough and demanding?
Either way, she knew he’d be a good one.
The sound of the public address system interrupted her reverie; and she
realised Sherry was calling her. Eric
must be here. Her pulse accelerated and
her heart beat just a little faster. She
wiped her hands nervously down her jeans as she made her way to the office to
collect Eric. Georgina opened the office
door and there he was. He turned from
the reception desk where he’d been chatting to Sherry and smiled at her. “Wow, he sure does pack a punch with that
mega-watt smile,” Georgina thought to herself.
“Hi there” she greeted with a smile. “Come on, I’ll take you out to see her.” Eric
turned to Sherry and gave her one of his killer smiles. “I’ll be in to fill the paperwork out as soon
as I’ve visited our girl,” he told her.
Sherry smiled back and asked, “What will you call her? I can get the detail filled in while you
visit. And you can make an appointment
with Georgie while you’re here; for your home visit.” “That would be great, thanks. I’ve given it some thought and I’ve decided
to call her Autumn. With all those warm
colours in her coat she reminds me of autumn” Eric replied before following
Georgina out to the kennels, watching the sway of her hips and wondered why he
found it so erotic. He couldn’t stop
thinking about her. It had cheered him
immensely to know that she would have to come over to the house to do a home
inspection. He couldn’t wait to have her
back in his home.
After spending a couple of hours getting
Autumn acclimatised to Eric; Georgina was happy with the progress they made. Despite her being scared of men, Eric managed
to forge a bond with Autumn fairly easily and Georgina had no doubt they made a
good match. Having been to his house
once before, she was certain, from the brief glance she’d gotten, that it would
be quite suitable for Autumn. But still,
it was an opportunity to see Eric again.
And she was really looking forward to it. “Georgina, I would like to have dinner with
you,” Eric began; breaking into her thoughts.
“Tonight, if you’re free.”
Mentally shaking herself out of her thoughts, Georgina wondered if she’d
thought out loud. Giving voice to her
thoughts would be embarrassing but judging by Eric’s expression, she didn’t
think so. So clearly, it came from
him. “Well, my shift only ends at seven
thirty; and I’d still have to go home after.
But if you don’t mind making it a late dinner that would be lovely, thank
you.” “No problem, I’ll pick you up at,
say, eight thirty then.” “Perfect,
thanks.” They walked back to the office
so Eric could sign off on the paperwork, giving Georgina a chance to write her
address down for him. Sherry handed him
his copies of all the documents and smiled at him, “Congratulations. I’m sure you’ll both be very happy
together.” As he turned to leave,
Georgina gave him her address. “I’ll see
you later then,” she smiled. Eric smiled back at her and said his goodbyes to
both ladies as he headed for the door.
By seven thirty Georgina was finished doing
her last round to make sure all the animals were settled for the night. Saying goodnight to Nancy, the nightshift
receptionist, she excitedly made her way to her car. She only had an hour before Eric arrived to
collect her and she wanted to look good for their date. Mentally debating what to wear she hopped in
the shower for a quick wash and shampoo.
Riffling through her wardrobe, she found the beautiful midnight blue
dress she’d worn to her friend’s wedding a couple of months back. It hugged her curvaceous body and she loved
the way it made her look, and feel, wearing it.
Quickly blow drying her hair and doing her make-up she was ready to go
with fifteen minutes to spare. When she
heard the door bell ring she made her way slowly to the front door, not wanting
to seem overeager, although she was
impatient to get the evening started.
Eric swallowed hard when Georgina opened the door. She took his breath away. But as good as she looked in her dress; he
would give almost anything to see what she looked like out of it. Smiling shyly, Georgina murmured, “I’ll just
get my coat and we can be on our way.”
He nodded and a moment later they were on their way. Eric scrambled to think of something to say
but he couldn’t get past how breathtaking she was.
The Maître D led them to a secluded table in
the back, where they would be undisturbed.
Once the waiter had been and their orders placed, they settled back and
got to know one another; asking questions back and forth. But both of them could feel the rising
awareness of each other, the sexual tension that was building between
them. “So tell me, have you been in a
committed relationship?” Eric asked Georgina.
“Once,” she replied, “but he turned out to be nothing like the man I
thought he was; the man he pretended to be.
I wanted more from him, and our relationship, than he was willing to
give. How about you?” she asked. Eric cleared his throat and looked a bit
uncomfortable for a moment. “I had a
similar experience. Let’s just say she
had no interest in taking our relationship in the direction I wanted, needed,
it to go. At first she tried, but it
simply wasn’t what she wanted. So one
day I get home from work and she’s gone.
She took only what belonged to her and left without a word or a trace;
leaving everything I ever gave her behind.
I haven’t had a serious relationship since then. I guess I’m still looking for the right
girl.” “And what exactly do you consider
to be the ‘right girl’?” “Hmm, I’m not
sure this is first date material,” Eric grimaced; then laughed. “Oh come on, you can’t just leave a girl
hanging!” Georgina responded. “Maybe
this is a conversation we should have in a less public venue, if you really
want to know.” Georgina was intrigued,
“Well then, shall we head back to my place and you can tell me over
coffee?” Eric called for the bill.
Copyright © 2013 Angelé Wells
No comments:
Post a Comment